User has inserted a USB drive and it says that the device has been detected, and/or there has been an audible indication of a USB connection; but there is no new drive in 'My Computer'.
User has a number of network drives in 'My Computer' with letters e.g. G: H: etc.
The USB drive is being allocated the same letter as a network drive; and the network drive is hiding the USB drive.
- Right-click on 'My Computer'
- Select 'Manage'
- Under the 'Storage' heading; click on 'Disk Management'
- In the upper half of the right hand panel one of the entries should be a USB mass storage device. This will have a drive letter the same as one of the network drives.
- Right-click on the USB device in the list and select 'Change Drive Letter and Paths...'
- Click on the 'Change...' button in the dialogue box which appears.
- Select a free drive letter from the pull-down list beside 'Assign the following drive letter'
- Click OK on 'Change Drive Letter or Path' window.
- Click OK on the warning box.
- Click OK on 'Changing Drive Letter and Paths' window.
- The drive has now been changed;Â Close the Computer Management window.
- Verify the USB drive appears in your 'My Computer' window.